Subject: Assess the Effectiveness of SOX Legislation
Congress enacted the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 (SOX) to restore public trust in the markets. Among its ways of achieving this, SOX attempts to improve organizational ethics by defining a code of ethics as including the promotion of honest and ethical conduct, requiring disclosure on the codes that apply to senior financial officers, and including provisions to encourage whistle blowing.
1. Provide a brief historical summary on SOX enactment.
2. Identify and explain the key ethical components of the SOX.
3. Assess the social responsibility implications regarding mandatory publication of corporate ethics.
4. One of the main criticisms of SOX is that its implementation presents an unfair burden on smaller organizations. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Why?
5. Recommend potential improvements of the SOX legislation based on your research.
Support your paper with a minimum of five scholarly resources. In addition to these specified resources, other appropriate scholarly resources, including older articles, may be included.
Length: 5-7 pages, not including title and reference pages